Friday, June 13, 2008

4 Miles

Just a couple of weeks after finding out that I was pregnant with Brynlie I realized that I was going to have to work harder to keep the baby weight under control. My friend Jamey suggested that I come walking in the morning with her and some other women in the neighborhood. She said that they walk 4 miles in an hour. I didn't totally believe this (sorry Jamey!) because, let's face it...people tend to exaggerate about things like exercise...and I figured that they probably just guesstimated how far they were walking. These women had been walking for the past few summers and were in much better shape than I was, but Jamey was also pregnant (12 weeks further than I was) so I knew that I wouldn't have a problem with this morning walk. Quite frankly, I was much more worried about getting out of bed that early in the morning.
Even though it had been a very mild winter, it was still February, so on the morning of my first walk I got all bundled up and headed outside to meet Jamey. It was so exciting to be out this early in the morning, all gangsta like, in our black hoodies. I knew this was going to be so much fun... We walked through the neighborhood to the meeting spot where we met up with Lisanne and Delia...there may have been someone else there that morning, but I can't remember for sure...this is where things start to get blurry. Everyone began to walk and I realized...they were walking REALLY fast! Fast enough that I was thinking it would just be easier to bend my knees and run. My legs felt so awkward and confused by what I was doing to them. But I was okay, I still had my ace...Jamey was 5 months pregnant...she'd slow them down...or did I? She was walking just as fast as they were, and showing no signs of slowing. A slight panic set in. I was not sure how long I'd be able to keep up, and I really didn't want to make them slow down for me.
The women were all chatting away...and there were so many important things that I could have said to add to the conversation...but I kept most of them to myself because I needed that precious oxygen to keep walking. Not to mention how embarrassing it was to gasp for air between words. I really did enjoy listening to them and getting to know these women better, but at the same time I couldn't wait for the walk to be over. We finally turned and started up our last road, heading back to the meeting place. I was elated! But there was something different about this road that I had not ever noticed in the past. While driving, it seemed like a nice little slope up, but this morning...it was suddenly so steep. I mean, wow, you almost need a rope to pull yourself up... remember, everyone exaggerates when it comes to exercise! At this point I considered breaking down and blurting out that I was pregnant...a fact that all of our family did not yet know...just so that they will pity me and slow down, but then I remember that Jamey is also pregnant and there was no mercy for her. So instead I blinked back the tears and somehow found the strength to keep going. I was so excited to see the end in sight, see the meeting spot where we would all say our goodbyes and go home to nurse our sore bodies. BUT....WAIT...WHY WERE WE PASSING IT??!! I remember trying to calmly ask where we were going, trying to hide the gasping sounds I was making, and getting told by one of them that WE DO TWO LAPS. That's right, we were only half way done. I know that we are taught that pride is a bad thing, but I've got to tell you...my pride was the only thing that got me through that second lap!
When I got home that morning Jared was in the kitchen and asked me how it was. I vaguely remember leaning against the wall and sliding down in a crumpled ball on the floor, my legs shaking. I told him that those ladies were crazy and walked at an unnatural pace. I then told him that Jamey had said it was 4 miles. He told me that there was no way we walked 4 miles in an hour... Did I realize how fast we would have had to walk to go that distance? Of course I did and I assured him that it was very possible. That night as I came home from the grocery store I decided that I would drive our route and see just how long it was. And guess what?! It was 4 miles exactly. Plus an extra almost quarter of a mile to get to the meeting place from my house. That means I walked almost 4.5 miles! Now here comes the really crazy thing...I didn't give up after that morning! I returned to walk it again for the next couple of weeks (on the mornings that it wasn't too cold and I didn't sleep in) until we got a good snowstorm and had to wait a few weeks to start back up. By then I was further along in my pregnancy and we also had a few others like Janica, Tawnie, and Michelle join us. After making myself so sick from walking that I threw up a couple of times I decided that enough was enough and quit until after the baby was born.
Jamey and I have started walking again this year, and I am proud to say that not only am I able to keep up, but I'm also able to TALK while walking. And every single morning the subject of our blogs and blog stalking...yes, I do my fair share of blog stalking... comes up. After a couple of weeks we also talked Larkyn, Janica, and then Tawnie into joining with us (Lisanne and Delia who were the diehards last year haven't been walking since Lisanne moved and it's now Delia's turn to be prego w/her third baby). I'm sad that due to Jared's new work schedule I'm unable to walk every morning, but we have thrown pilates in a couple of those mornings. Anyone else in the neighborhood is welcome to join us on our walk...just know that you have been warned...unlike me, who had no idea what I was getting myself into.

8 comments:

Kristalyn said...

I wish we lived in your neighborhood! I am having a hard time getting back into an exercise routine...so I've been eating tons of junk to compensate. Good for you for getting up and doing it so early!

Jamey said...

Thanks for thinking that I was a big lier! :) I am glad that we have started walking again. It is so much easier to work out when you have people there to do it with you! I hope you will believe the things I tell you next time!

Ramanda said...

You are my exercising hero!!! I think about exercising but that is as far as I get and I am not exaggerating!

kimbob said...

I'm proud you've been doing it. I didn't know that it started back when you were pregnant. I thought of you while I was on the treadmill this morning wondering how you were going to do it with Jared gone. Keep up the good work!! I wish I had people in my neighborhood that did that too.

kimbob said...

check out my blog, I was tagged so am now tagging you :) It's the Marriage Tag

Mcewen Family said...

Your right we were walking pretty fast. As soon as I can lift my head without getting dizzy I will be out there so tell me what days and what time. I walk really slow now.

me said...

LOL...nice post. Im glad you went out and measured the distance because Ive really wanted to...sorry jamey!! Weve been missing you, I just asked jamey today when youd be able to join us again. hope to see you soon...

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

Wow!!! Well no wonder you look so great!!! I wish I lived in your guys neighborhood I would totally join you. Even though I would probably struggle even more than you did your first time! :)