Thursday, May 22, 2008

Soccer Star

Kylie is playing soccer again this year, for the second year in a row. She is really quite good when she wants to be...others times...well, let's just say that she is "easily distracted". Especially with a certain boy by the name of Jaxon on her team. At least this year she is no longer out on the soccer field sucking her thumb!This year the other 4 girls in our ward decided not to play so it is just Kylie and the 3 boys. There are only three girls on her team this year, and of course, she is the best. And I am not biased at all as her mother. She hasn't been as excited to play as she was last year so I've started to bribe her to score goals. (Hey, whatever works...I don't knock all of your parenting skills...and don't tell me that none of you have ever resorted to bribes.) A few games back I told her that I would take her to the movies if she would score a goal. She was really close a couple of times, but no goal. She asked if she still got to go and I told her no, but that she could try again next week. The next week she tried so hard and at the last minute she scored the goal. She had the biggest grin/smirk on her face when she scored. The next week I asked her what she wanted if she scored another goal. Without even hesitating she told me she wanted an AIRPLANE RIDE. Where did she get this idea from? Have I been teaching my kids to dream a bit too big? From a movie to an airplane? Needless to say (and yet here I am saying it) she wasn't going to get an airplane ride, so she settled for a dinner date with dad. Which she quickly informed me was not to be called a "date" because she can't date her dad because he is a boy. And too big. And married. And because he's her dad.

She didn't score a goal at the game that weekend, but the following weekend she scored two goals within the first 5 minutes. She really should have come over and negotiated for another reward before she scored that second goal because I'm considering that one a freebie. Kylie's Aunt Jennifer has been helping her practice her kicking this past week so we are really excited to see if she has improved any at her next game. Thanks Jen for your help! Kylie can't stop talking about it! She has three more games left if anyone is interested. They are May 31st (noon), June 7th (1:00), and June 14th (noon) at the West Jordan soccer field.





3 comments:

Amanda said...

I bet she doesn't have any problem with being the only girl and three boys. Just think if Rhon were there she would have to share Lukas.

Linda said...

Which one is Jaxon? We want to come watch a game!

kimbob said...

Glad she's doing so well. It's fun to watch kids learn new things and do good at them. Way to bribe! Saturday is our last baseball game! But Cole made it to AllStars so that could be a whole new season for us.