Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bring your child to work day at MACU

Can I just say that I have a great job? Today was bring your child to work day at the Credit Union and I brought Kylie. This is the first year that she was old enough and we had so much fun together. The credit union really tries hard to make this a special day for the kids. I didn't pay too much attention to the online info about it, or I would have realized that the breakfast went from 8:00-9:00 and I didn't need to be there right at 8:00. Instead, Kylie and I were the first two people there. Now there is something that I have never said before, or probably ever will again. I am never early for ANYTHING! There was lots of yummy food and drinks for us, and Kylie got a tee shirt and a name tag. There were donuts and danishes, and yet my health nut wanted "healthy" food so she got fruit and a muffin. Of course I am not crazy like she is, so I got myself a big fat cheese danish. And it was oh so good! After the breakfast we moved up a floor and the kids did the hokie pokie to get them moving before we split into groups. Kylie had a moment there and said she wanted to go home, but once we split into the smaller groups she became more comfortable. The ages are from 5-16 and we were lucky and got a group of all younger kids. Our first stop was a treasure chest. The instructor would read lines from "pirate" movies and the kids had to guess which movie. The correct guesser got to pick a key from a bucket and see if it would open the chest. Kylie got the last one right (Pirates of the Caribbean of course) and used her key to open the chest, which had real gold (dollars) in it. Each kid got to take some "treasure" home with them.

The second stop was to play a computer camping/math game and the third one was to make a name tag.

Next we headed back down to the cafeteria for basketball, football, and play dough.

Our next stop was our IT department where Kylie got to check out some computers.
Here's Kylie standing over the fans that kept the computer room freezing cold.


Then he showed us a phone that had the ability to do a video conference. He called Terry in our IT department and the kids were quite impressed to see him, but even more so when we were walking out and they saw him in person and realized he was the guy they had just seen on the screen.
Our next stop was even colder than the computer room. We went out in the parking garage and got to play in a real armored car.



The reason that I show this picture is because if you look to the far left you will notice a hand holding a sippy cup and...a camera! See, I wasn't the only that had a camera! Almost...but there were a couple of others. And as Amanda has assured me, those that didn't have them were secretly jealous that I did. I do NOT look like an overzealous camera freak...at least that's what I keep telling myself. Here we are building a house with blocks.
Now I know that some of you out there will be shocked, but this was, by far, Kylie's least favorite stop. There were two different Wii games set up, bowling and tennis, and she HATED them. I can't say I blame her, it is hard to just be handed the control and told to play, especially when you are 5 and have never played a video game before in your life.he was pretty excited and begged to do it again.

Our final destination for the day was the board room. The kids got to ask a couple of the VP's some questions and played Simon says with MAC (the credit union mascot).



After avoiding and even hiding from MAC all day long Kylie finally warmed up to him and gave him a hug before we left.

What a fun day! Not only did I get to spend some quality time with Kylie, but I didn't have to work all morning! And after the month I've had (April is our auto loan promotion month) I was ready for a break. I am so lucky to be able to work for a company that makes family a priority. We are already looking forward to next year. And after seeing how young some of the kids were there Sadie will probably be looking forward to it too.




4 comments:

kimbob said...

I didn't know you were really planning on going to that. If Cole wasn't in all day school I would have thought about it. I could have probably brought Jake but didn't think about it. I wish I would have taken the morning off with you. Are you off today?? I'm not seeing you logged in :(

Amanda said...

I love how you post lots and lots of pictures. Fun times....

Linda said...

Didn't I leave a comment, yet?! What a fun post. I'm glad you and Kylie got to have a girls' day out. Now, where are the baby shower pictures?

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

Hey Aspen!! I saw your link on Annie's blog! So I had to pop in and say hi! I hope you don't mind! Your family is so beautiful! I haven't seen you guys forever! Feel free to check out our blog if you want. it's www.robertandmelanie.blogspot.com I hope everything is going great for you guys! Keep in touch! Love Melanie