Thursday, January 10, 2008

Who is this child?

SADIE ALYSSA
I have hesitated to write this post because I am afraid of jinxing myself, but here goes...
















For the first year of Sadie's life she was such a little sweetheart. Then she turned one and the terrible two's started a year early. She became such a strong-willed and independent little girl. She understood the power that she had by screaming and throwing public tantrums, especially when I was pregnant with Brynlie and physically not able to keep up with her. Sadie has this temper that you sometimes don't see coming. And that girl has endurance! I learned quickly that I was going to have to change my stategy to win any battles with her. She really struggled with me being pregnant and not being able to give her the attention that she needed. And she also did not like that I did not have a lap for her to sit on. I didn't realize just how much she wanted her mommy back until the day Brynlie was born and I showed her that the baby wasn't in my tummy anymore. The first thing she said was..."baby popped out. You hold ME now?" We started potty training this summer while I was pregnant. (I was doing Kylie's hair in the bathroom one day when I started to smell something and realized that Sadie had decided to go number 2 in the toilet all by herself. I guess she was just making sure that I noticed that she was ready to be potty trained!) The potty training did well for the most part, but after days of no accidents she would have a bad day and go through all of her pants in one day. It was so frustrating! And then one night a magic fairy came and sprinkled some of her magic dust on my middle child...oh, sorry, this isn't a fairy tale. I just don't have any other explanation for what has happened. Sometime, shortly before Christmas, Sadie stopped peeing her pants. She has only had one accident in almost a month! And she has decided that she doesn't need a pull-up at bedtime either (well, not so much decided, as got lazy and kept forgetting to put one on. But the end result is the same...dry in the morning!!). I am so excited about this latest accomplishment. But that is not all...Sadie has also decided that she likes to make mommy happy. So instead of her normal refusal to do as she is told she will now gladly do it saying..."I being good mommy?" I will admit, this question originally started any time Kylie was in trouble. Sadie would quickly chime in saying..."I being good mommy?", but this had evolved past getting enjoyment out of her sister's troubles. She now wants to be good for me. I can't say that she always obeys, but wow...what a difference a month has made! I am so impressed with what a mature little girl she is becoming. Tonight, she and Kylie has a race to see who could clean their assigned room first. She had the family room, and Kylie had the basement. NEVER has Sadie won one of these races. Normally this is just a motivator to get Kylie to clean (since she is a bit competitive and does not like losing to her little sister), and then they both have to move on to Sadie's assigned job. But not tonight. Tonight Sadie actually cleaned a room by herself. I don't know who was more excited, me or her. (Of course, Kylie didn't like this, and two hours later she is still down in the basement.) I love my little Sadie so much and really enjoy seeing what a big girl she is becoming.

4 comments:

Annie said...

One of my favorite memories of Christmas is Sadie walking around the house, pointing to the cat, saying "fatty cat, fatty cat." We love her huge personality.

Anonymous said...

You do have some amazing children Aspen...no im not around them all that often but what i have seen...Sadie is growing into a very mature little girl...and TJ just adores them...

Linda said...

This post left me with tears in my eyes. Each of my grandchildren is special to me for different reasons. Sadie and I share the connection of being the middle child. I have always felt like I understood her feelings and her frustrations the best of any one. Isn't she an adorable little girl!

Linda said...

P.S. In Kylie's defense...I've been in your basement before. Do you really think the family room vs. the basement was a fair contest?