Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas Ornaments

A few lessons I've learned about decorating the Christmas tree and children...
They offer Christmas bulbs in GLASS and SHATTERPROOF. You would think that this would be a no-brainer, but as I looked at my ornament boxes this year, I realized that I hadn't paid much attention previously. The first year that we had a tree I bought a set of purple ones and did the tree in purple and silver. They were all glass and lasted through 6 Christmas seasons. Last year I decided that I would hit the after Christmas sales and purchase red ornaments for this year. When I opened the package this year, I realized that they were labeled SHATTERPROOF. What a concept! Why had I not noticed this before? Since I was decorating the tree with the new red ornaments, I let Kylie and Sadie decorate a little tree with the purple ones. Lesson #1: If you have kids, or are planning on having kids, DO NOT BUY GLASS BULBS. Or at least, do not get attached to these bulbs. You will only get hurt in the end. I had 15 purple balls when I pulled out the decorations. I only put away 8.
Last year I went to Relief Society and they gave each of us a beautiful GLASS (see lesson #1) ornament filled in the bottom with sand and seashells and with a message attached about Jesus. I have two of these ornaments because I inherited Meagan's that she got while living with me. My girls also thought that these ornaments were beautiful and decided to take one to their room to play with. Lesson #2: If the ornament is clear and filled with something they can see, your children will be drawn to it. And they will break it. Probably in a hard to get to area like a crack between their bunk beds and the wall. Meagan...your ornament will be waiting for you safely packed away in a box.

Each year I try to buy the girls an ornament for the tree. When Sadie was a year old I got her an angel, since she was such an angel. The next year I picked her up a Minnie Mouse bell at Disneyland since she loves Minnie so much. This year we decided to go with something a little less fragile: a plastic "snow globe" with a Disney princess in it. Lesson # 3: If you buy a special ornament for a little girl and tell her it is hers, don't expect her to look at it and not touch it. And if you buy a plastic ornament filled with water, it can pop.
The angel in the middle of this picture is from our nativity scene. I though for sure that the girls would be drawn to baby Jesus. For some reason, the angel became their favorite. The other two are Sadie's ornaments from the past two years. Lesson #4: If you let your 2 year old watch you hot glue wings back on her angel or arms back on her Minnie Mouse she will break them off again since she knows that you can fix them.

3 comments:

Diana said...

You are hilarious Aspen. I can totally relate to your whole post lol

Linda said...

You should become a writer, Aspen. You inherited your mom's good grammar skills and your dad's ability to organize thoughts quickly. The style is all your own, though and it's so much fun to read.

Babzanne Barker said...

I'm sure you must have inherited some of your writing ability from your aunt, don't you think? Although I admit you are much funnier than me! I love your blogs, too.