Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas, Part 1

We had such a wonderful, busy, and fun filled Christmas weekend! I am going to break this up into a couple of different posts because I will never find the time to sit down and write all about it in one blog. Our Holiday weekend started off Friday night at our annual South family Christmas party. We went to Jason and Tawnie's house and had pizza and read the story of Christ's birth in the scriptures. Then the kids got to open all of their gifts from each other and from their grandparents and aunts and uncles. This year, Grandma and Grandpa South got all three of the older girls a princess dress and then Jennifer bought them each a matching cape and Jeremy and Larkyn got them crowns. They were so beautiful! This was the first time that we had the whole family together since baby Tyler was born. Our family just keeps growing. Jacob and Mindy are expecting a little girl the first half of February so by next Christmas we will have lots of little ones running around. Sadie is so happy to not be the baby anymore.

The next morning we got up and drove to Vernal to visit the Merrell side of our family. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, mom had LOTS of fun stuff planned for us. Kylie and Sadie were so excited to get their snowsuits on and go play in the snow and go for rides with the boys on the 4-wheelers. The guys went out 4-wheeling while we waited for everyone to arrive and then we started work on our big Christmas present from my parents...food storage. Mom and Dad rented a canner and bought a ton of food for us to can. It was a lot of fun and went quick with that many of us working together. We got flour, powdered sugar, hot cocoa, rice,chocolate chips, dried apples, spaghetti, pasta, popcorn, beans, etc etc... It was a GREAT Christmas present (and hopefully the start of a great tradition too...hint hint, mom and dad).
Kylie was a big helper. Here she is filling a can with spaghetti. She also helped hand the cans to her daddy so that he could seal them.
Some of the finished product...
Sadie also helped out, by staying in the house and staying out of mischief. What a beautiful Christmas present she makes!
After we were done canning Vince, Meagan, Jason, Sasha, Chuck, Jared and I all went out for a night ride on the 4-wheelers. It was so much fun...and cold. Meagan and I both came back in for more clothes before we even sat down on the four-wheelers. Vanity went right out the window as we realized just how cold it was. Meagan looked especially cute when she decided to use an ear headband around her face to cover her nose. :) It was a beautiful clear night and there was so much snow to play in. We are so lucky that Mom and Dad built their house with such a fun "playground" in the backyard for us to play in. That night I went to the store w/some of the siblings to buy food for our "cook off" the next night. Jared called as I was finishing and asked me to pick him up something to eat. I made a discovery that night...Vernal exists in a black hole where there are no fast food places open at 10:30 at night on a Saturday night. The only place that I could find was Taco Bell...not one of my first choices (not even one of my first 20 choices!) but it was our only option at that point. I think that we would starve to death if we lived there. Or maybe I would become a better cook...

3 comments:

Diana said...

It sounds like you guys had a really fun Christmas! What a a great present from your parents! To make those cookies you asked about all you need is Vanilla Wafers, Peppermint Patties, coconut, and white frosting. You dye the coconut green for lettuce, and some of the frosting red, and some of it yellow, for ketchup and mustard. Then layer it as you like. I also leave some whilte for mayonaise. Keep the blogging up. Yours are so fun to read!

Linda said...

You would not believe the comments we have received from people in the stake, wanting to know how our canning night went! We might have to fight for the canner next year!

Jamey said...

Brad laughed at me when I told him that I read your blog and that you were canning. He thinks it is wierd that I read yours. But I would love to do all that canning. Brad's mom did some for us, but we only got a few wheat. So now I need to get into some of the other stuff. I actually have gone through a whole can of wheat since our super Saturday when I learned how to actually use it. What a fun christmas!