Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Birthday

Even though Jared was not in town for my birthday I was determined to not cook. I knew that I would be able to use the "birthday" card that evening and get my kids to try to be civil at dinner. It worked. Sort of. I had to remind them several times, but I got a good 30 seconds of good kids before they would forget what day it was.


A couple of observations from our dinner:
When choosing a side dish neither of my two older girls picked fries. Fries aren't optional for their mom.
Sadie chose Mandarin oranges and Kylie picked a green salad, only because Broccoli with ranch wasn't a choice.
Normally Jared keeps our waiter busy with refills but this night the only one that needed a refill was Brynlie, and she needed it before the food even arrived. That girl loves her chocolate milk!
The hostess was super good. I mean really good. I mean, wow! She put us at the table closest to the bathroom. It was like she knew.
Both of my girls tried my thick steak fries and gave them back to, deeming them unsuitable to eat. I'm not totally convinced that they are my kids.

Brynlie having fun at dinner...
And Brynlie grossing herself out after looking at the treasure she blew out of her nose...



We also stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home. Who's 30th birthday would be complete without a trip to Wal-Mart?
I was disgusted when I realized how dirty Brynlie's shirt was. Kylie was disgusted when she saw me turn it inside out.
The guy running the checkout stand was chatting with the lady in front of him about the birthday cake she was purchasing for her daughter. His daughter's birthday is on the 15th and his is at the end of the month. I could have stepped in and announced that it was not only my birthday at that exact moment, but that I was also turning 30. I would have totally won, but I didn't want to show them both up.
The cashier then told the lady that he was going to Italy at the end of the month. I made a mental note that I should get a job at Wal-Mart. When he was ringing up my groceries he mentioned that I was buying a "lifetime" supply of macaroni and cheese. If 10 boxes of mac-n-cheese is really a lifetime supply for him I definitely need to get a job at Wal-Mart.
This is a result of the best $.50 spent all evening:

7 comments:

Babzanne Barker said...

Happy birthday, Aspen! I'm glad you went out for dinner--no one should have to cook on their own birthday!

Kristalyn said...

I definitely agree, no cooking allowed on your birthday, anniversary, or Mother's Day. You are brave, though...taking them to a restaraunt all by yourself...I feel brave when we go to Wendy's! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Your truely are an amazing woman Aspen!...hope it was a great one!

kimbob said...

you didn't put where you went to dinner? I'm glad you got out and hope it was a great day!! I didn't realize it was your 30th. You're getting old :) :)

Peggy said...

Sounds like you had fun. Happy Birthday (late)! This year will be our best ever, right? 30 will be our prime! Your girls are so cute.

Robert, Melanie and fam said...

That is a hilarious post!

Tawnie said...

oh my gosh!!! up date your blog already, I am tired of hearing about your birthday!! You are so much older now!!!